Oct 19, 2010

Perfect Marshmallow Popcorn

So I can't even begin to describe the deep devoted love I have for popcorn. I mean seriously. I watch a movie, popcorn is there. I study for an hour, popcorn again. Driving longer than 30 minutes, popcorn. It's become more of an addiction really...

Well, a few years back my sister and I came up with this recipe, which resulted in me always having a bag of marshmallows on hand. Which leads me to my first delightful recipe posting.

Perfect Marshmallow Popcorn
          and I mean seriously perfect

1/3 C popcorn kernels, air-popped
1/2 bag of marshmallows ( I like to use the big Jet-Puffs)
2-3 T of salted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt


You can use microwavable popcorn, but it takes almost two bags to get enough to work with, and is usually pretty salty. I like to use an air-popper, though, I can make just as much as I want, and they make for a healthier alternative (when not smothered in marshmallow). While you wait for the popper to do it's job into a large mixing bowl, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it's melted and bubbly, add the half bag of marshmallows. Stir a bit to coat the mallows in butter to keep them from sticking to your pan. Continue to stir off and on until they're all melted down and smooth. Once it starts to bubble, take the pan off the heat and add your vanilla and salt. The vanilla will turn it a lovely golden color. Now with your popcorn in a large bowl, pour the marshmallow mix over. I like to pour half, stir to coat and then add the second half. Not only does that decrease the amount of precious kernels lost, but it also helps me not to burn my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment